The Selling Your Own Home Checklist
A smooth sequence of events
- Be organised
- Get a professional team on board
- Optimise your sale potential
- Create a smooth process
Arrange for a pre-listing home inspection to ascertain what maintenance needs to be done to assist the selling process. Have a consultation with your realtor to implement a sales plan. If a realtor isn’t recommend to you, perhaps interview up to three of them to find the right person.
The Home Selling Checklist (PDF Available)
- During the listing meeting, discuss with the realtor the marketing plan and market comparables to evaluate if you’re comfortable with the suggested listing price recommended by the realtor.
- Once you’re satisfied with your marketing plan and listing price, sign an MLS contract to create an agency agreement and complete the relevant paperwork with the realtor.
- Arrange a day for other agents to view your property so that they’re familiar with the property.
- Presentation of offers, which could include price, terms, financing, possession date, inclusion/exclusion of repairs, fixtures and equipment.
- Your agent negotiating the best offer for you.
- Offer acceptance – perhaps with subject clauses.
- Hire a lawyer or notary and discuss completion documents and transfer of title with them.
- The purchaser will probably want to arrange a home inspection.
- Your realtor will work with the buyer’s agent to satisfy any subject clauses.
- A sold sign is put up outside your property.
- Arrange for a moving company, arrange for your mail to be forwarded, cancel accounts for insurance, phone, and utilities.
- Completion day – your lawyer and the buyer’s lawyer will arrange transfer of title. The transfer of funds will be deposited to your lawyer’s account. There will be a verification of the offer-to-purchase.
- Your realtor delivers the keys to the buyer on the possession date.